Friday, February 17, 2012

Two Toddler Backpacks

So, during one of my internet surfathons, I found this tutorial and knew that I would need to make it.  D and M watch W leave for school every day on the bus and watch for him to come home too.  They need backpacks so they can be like their big brother.  They already like to pretend, so I think these will be perfect.

There are really only three things that I did differently on these.  I didn't baste the straps into place before sewing. I just pin away and sew the whole thing.  I also had to trim the front and back panels, as my side piece didn't seem to be long enough.  I don't know if it is the tutorial or me with the problem, but you might want to check the length that your side piece needs to be before cutting.  I think that the next time I make one of these, I will make about a 36" side piece and then decide how much to shorten it.  And, I do interfacing differently.  And, by differently, I mean that interfacing and I have a difficult relationship, and I do it the way I have learned to reduce the amount of ruined interfacing and fabric. I begin by cutting out the pattern pieces from the interfacing.  Then, instead of cutting out matching fabric pieces and then ironing, I iron the interfacing pieces onto the uncut fabric.  Then, I cut these pieces out, and the edges all line up nicely!!!  I didn't take many pictures of the process, but the tutorial link can show you the steps.  Here are the finished products.  I think they turned out very nicely.


Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment