Saturday, May 5, 2012

A Birthday

Birthdays are a big thing in our family.  Not just as a reminder of children growing up, but also as a point to celebrate their life and what is important to them.  As anyone with more than themselves to celebrate knows, it is hard to always acknowledge fully what is important to others.  It is even harder to always show others their importance to you through your own actions.  I think birthdays are a great time to concentrate on this for lots of reasons!  First, birthdays are on the same day each year.  This makes planning a bit easier, and, even though it sometimes isn't at the top of our list, the day shouldn't really "sneak up" on us.  Second, I am blessed to have had W on a day that is a work holiday for me each year, and the twins are in the summer, so life is more flexible!  Third, a cake is normal for birthdays, so that is automatic festivity right there.
Well, W's birthday is quickly approaching.  He will be 11.  Every time that I say or write that number, it still seems far too old for my child, but he keeps reminding me that it is correct.  Until a few mornings, I had no idea what to do for his birthday.  I asked him to make a birthday list last week.  It included a mini flat screen TV and a laptop.  Not happening.
Then, last Saturday morning, we were out doing the yard sale circuit.  We saw a semi-loft bed for sale. (It has a big crawl space under it, but not room for stuff like a desk.  I have no idea what the real name for it is.)  I asked W if a new, cooler, video game space providing bed would be a good present for his birthday.  He was very sure that it would be a good thing.  So, my mom and I now have a good chunk of his birthday present, but he already knows about it.  The surprise factor is totally gone.  But, he has a Boy Scout camping trip this weekend, the weekend before his birthday.
Inspiration struck for the rest of his present as I looked at his wants list.  I started thinking about what had been on his Christmas list but he didn't end up getting.  I started thinking that redoing his bedroom would be the perfect 11th birthday gift, as long as he doesn't get mad about me messing with his stuff!  He has been asking to switch out posters and stuff decorating his room for a few months now, and he wanted Mario bedding for Christmas but didn't get it.  Can you see how perfect this opportunity is??????
Obviously, we will need to do before and after photos, but he can't find out about this before his camping trip.  I had to sneak pictures while he was at school, so I do apologize for the disaster area that is his room.  (In all honesty, that is it's average level of neatness.  I know that one of my friends is now shaking her head and thinking how quickly she could have it in order.  Yes, you.)  So, I present the before photos.  As you can see, we haven't redone his room decor in the 5 years that we have been here.  We did start taking down some posters that were going to be in the way of the new bed.  And, I know the bedrooms in this house are little.  I can't make them grow any.




Next week, you will get to see the finished room and his reaction!

No comments:

Post a Comment