Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Barney Dress

For D and M's Barney birthday party, I decided that they needed Barney themed clothes to wear.  (Note to anyone who might care...  Barney fabric does not really seem to exist unless you want to buy old sheets from Ebay.)  I wish I would learn to have these bright ideas more than a week or two before the clothes are needed, but maybe I will learn to do that.  Instead, I was a bit rushed, but I think the clothes turned out cute.


D got some overalls Barney and BJ on the legs.  Cute and really easy! (And yes, I have baby fencing in my house, and I love it!)

M took a little more time, but I love the results.  I made a Barney dress!!!

I combined some ideas that I have seen on various blogs to create this dress.  I used a men's dress shirt for the purple .  I love the way that the front and back of the dress are longer due to the way the shirt was hemmed.  I cut the shirt off (cut straight across, under the arms) based on the length of a dress that fits M well.  Based on one of our Barney toys, I appliqued spots onto the back of the dress.  I used some green tee shirt remnants from D's Peter Pan costume.  I then cut out J shaped arm holes based on the same dress.  With the tie straps, the arm holes don't have to be perfect.

Then, I applied the tutorial that I saw here to create the rest of the dress.  Bias tape is my friend!!!  I chose the width of the front based on the same dress used for sizing. (M was not available for measurements.)  And, I used 40 inches for each arm hole, just like the tutorial.  It looked like a super long piece, probably because it was longer than M is tall, but it worked perfectly for the ties.  It is even long enough to double knot now that she knows that her dress will fall off if she pulls on the ties!

And then, because I have a button addiction...
 Green and purple/pink buttons!!! (I think they came from Walmart.)
Miss M likes the buttons too!  The shirt had hidden buttons, so I got to choose the spacing when I sewed the buttons onto the dress.  And, they are not functional as buttons, but I think they are really cute.  I finished the dress with a whole day to spare!  Maybe I am learning to pace myself better, but I really think it was just luck.

Yay for Barney clothes!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment